Followers

Monday, November 29, 2010

Snowman Shaker Card (and tutorial)



I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Ours was pretty good and we enjoyed lots of time with family. I just love snowman images, love, love, love them! when I saw this one from Pholkart Blessings, I knew I had to have it, I especially love snowmen that are wearing scarves! I also that that this image would make a wonderful shaker card. Most all of the shaker cards I have ever made have been using snowmen images. I know my niece will love getting this one for Christmas. She is 12 and still thinks I am pretty cool because I know how to make all sorts of things so I try and make her something different each birthday or holiday. 



Supplies needed: 
image (I have used Warm Heart Snowman from Pholkart Blessings) 
foam tape 
glitter
glue dots 
acetate
Nestabilities (or some way to cut out your shapes)
Copics (or some other coloring medium)

I started by printing my image to the size I wanted and then cutting out a circle around the image with a Circle Nestability. I knew I was going to be using dark blue paper, so I punched out a larger scalloped circle out of that paper and then used a smaller plain circle to cut a window out of the scalloped circle. Then I colored the image using the following Copics: B0000, B00, BV11, BV13, B12, B14. E29, YR 04, YR07 and R29.


After my image was colored, I added the foam tape around the entire circle, taking care to not leave any gaps between the pieces of foam. 
(I cut small strips of the Scotch foam tape, them cut each strip into three thinner strips)


After making sure there were no gaps, I added a small amount of glitter on top of the image and then removed the backing from my foam tape. If you are like me and a little heavy handed with the glitter, make sure you remove the backing after adding the glitter.



Using the same Nestability that I used to cut out my image, I also cut out a piece of acetate and then adhered it to the foam tape.



I then took my scalloped circle and added glue dots to the back of each scallop and then added it directly to the top of the acetate. 


Now you are ready to add it to your card!

My card was made using Bo Bunny paper.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

15 comments:

jimlynn said...

Gina, this is just amazing! First of all, I also love snowmen and that image is just precious. Really like the patterned paper you used and oh, my....a shaker card!!!! Fabulous. Also, thanks for the tutorial on how you did it. As soon as I can get re-organized from Thanksgiving, I'll have to try that.
Lynn

Emily Leiphart said...

Gina, your snowman card is adorable! I always love shaker cards and yours is fabulous.

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Great tutorial and Great project! I love shaker cards! I just don't make them enough!! Gotta change that!
Maria

The Mama Monkey said...

OMG this is so funny...I tried to make a shaker card tonight! I gave up and just glued my beads on top. I was trying to do a star...not fun!

Love how yours came out!!

Marlene said...

Love your little snowman shaker card! This turned out super cute!!!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Fantastic. What a great tutorial, Gina! Can you believe I have never made a shaker card.... but I am definitely going to give this a try using your wonderful directions.

Your card is super fantabulous. Your niece is going to love it!! Have a great week!

Karin said...

This is something I've never tried...You make it look so easy and the end result is adorable! Love that snowman :)

Christine Riley said...

This is so adorable, Gina! I love your card and thank so much for the tutorial! I'm definitely going to have to try one of these!
Hugs, Christine

Maria Matter said...

I sooo need to try a shaker card! you make is look so easy gina!
Gorgeous card hun, love your darling little snow fellow!
Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving holiday!
hugs & blessings!

Kathy and Lucky said...

What a great card and I too am a lover of snowmen :). Great shaker card and thanks for the tutorial, think I may have to give it a try.

Patti Moore said...

Wow, Gina!... This is an AWESOME tutorial!! Your directions are super-clear & your pics really show each step of the process. What a great teacher you are! :)

Thanks for using my Snowman digi stamp on this FUN Shaker card!... You made him look ADORABLE!!

Heather Huggins said...

Super cute card. Wonderful tutorial!! Love that BoBunny paper..

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Gina!! This is just adorable!! Thanks for the fun tutorial!! HUGS

Anonymous said...

Great, i found what i 've been lookin for

Silli said...

THIS is wonderful Gina..., your snowman is so cute, love it!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!! BIG hugs