Followers

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Merry Christmas in ASL



I have had a busy weekend! We had our first Christmas Showcase at church yesterday. Several people brought in items that they had made to display and then we also had crafting space available for anyone that wanted to stay. I was there from 9:00 a.m. until almost 10:30 p.m. It was a very long day but also very productive and a lot of fun. Our church has a regular group, a Hispanic group with a Spanish speaking preacher and a Deaf group with a Deaf minister. Kip and I attend then Deaf service. We have been a part of that ministry since before we were married. Actually we met through this group. This was the card that I made for our group. I don't normally make one design for my Christmas cards, but since I found this stamp that spelled out Merry Christmas using the ASL alphabet, I made a lot of these. Not all of them were exactly the same, but they were all similar. I stamped the image (which is from Lost Angeles Rubberworks) and colored the wreath and hands with Prisma markers. The little holly berries are drops of Christmas Red Stickles. We have boxes for Christmas cards in the lobby (to help us save on postage) and not only did I get all the cards done for this group, but I also got them signed, in the envelopes and sorted in the boxes!
Speaking of our Deaf group at church, there was a small awards ceremony today, to thank some people for their years of service. We also planned to surprise the preacher with one for celebrating his 10th year with us. My husband was so excited helping plan this, because Mike had no idea. Imagine Kip's surprise to find out that we were also presented one! I had gone to church with Judy and the girl's for Samantha's musical so he had to accept for both of us. I did make it to the luncheon, just after the awards though. Since I am a little on the shy side, they were all teasing me a little. I hope you had a great weekend and had plenty of time to relax.

3 comments:

Scrapping Julie said...

awesome card gina, hopefully next month i can stay longer.

Unknown said...

lovely card. The deaf ministry must be such a rewarding ministry.

Sara said...

Gina, what a great card, and love the stamp. My daughter is very into ASL. She takes a class at school, and her teacher is her best friend's mother. They would absolutely love this. Can you tell me where to get these stamps?
TIA